Menstrual cups are tiny rather cute cup-shaped containers that women use during their periods. These cups fit in the vagina, collect all the blood and once it is filled you can take it out, throw the blood, wash the cup and reuse it again.
It’s that simple.
And yes, it is absolutely safe to use
However, it will require some practice and once you get used to it, you are sorted for life.
Menstrual cups are gaining a lot of popularity due to their amazing advantages over conventional period products. These are loved by women across the globe.
Some women report that they don’t even feel the cup.
Some women even report that they completely forget that they are on period.
Here in this article, we are going to see the 7 best menstrual cups in India from which you can choose the best for you.
If you want to know more about menstrual cups, I have a complete detailed beginners guide. I will provide that link down below.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT MENSTRUAL CUP BEFORE BUYING?
Here are some factors to keep in mind before buying menstrual cups.
Generally, the menstrual cup comes in three sizes.
It is suitable for people who are not sexually active, best for teenagers and young girls.
It is suitable for people who are sexually active but have not given birth vaginally. If you have given birth via c-section, the medium would be suitable for you.
Those who have given birth vaginally should opt for large-sized menstrual cups.
It is very important to choose the correct size because otherwise, you will get a hard time inserting the cup. Also, you can encounter a very uncomfortable experience if you put in the wrong sized menstrual cups.
You may have to try out cups from different companies to actually get the one that is most suitable for you.
Some cups come with a long stem that overall increases the length of the cup. This stem may cause inconvenience to some women. Nowadays there are wide varieties of cups available such as
- Long stem cup
- Short stem cup
- Ring stem cup
- Stemless cup
Choose whatever works best for you. You may have to try one or more types of cup to conclude with your best choice.
Different companies use different materials and quality raw material for the manufacturing of menstrual cups. Some are soft while some are a little hard. The finishing of cups also differs for different manufacturers So it is advisable that you carefully choose the company that you can rely upon.
While I am sure most people like menstrual cups due to their reusability feature, certain menstrual cups are non-reusable. So make sure the cup which you are buying is a reusable one. Because there is no point in buying a non-reusable menstrual cup.
Personally, I would advise going for a good quality menstrual cup even if it is more expensive than others. A menstrual cup on average lasts for about 5-10 years so it is a good long time investment.
Also, it is something that you are putting inside the most sensitive part of your body, so you need to be extra cautious about its quality.
No doubt that a coloured menstrual cup is more attractive than a white menstrual cup but some manufacturers use dye for that colour which can disturb the pH of the vagina. It is advisable to go for a transparent or white coloured menstrual cup. However, if you choose to go for a coloured one, make sure that it is free from dyes.
7 BEST MENSTRUAL CUPS IN INDIA
1. PEE SAFE REUSABLE MENSTRUAL CUP
- This menstrual cup by pee safe is made up of 100% medical grade silicone.
- It is chemical-free and eco friendly.
- It can collect up to 20 ml of menstrual blood.
- Takes care of your menstrual hygiene.
- This menstrual cup is approved by the FDA.
- It has undergone a vaginal membrane irritation test and SVHC.
- Free from toxins and is certifies by ISO 13485.
- The cup comes in 3 sizes
- Dimensions are: 4.2 x 4.2 x 7 cm.
- It can be used for up to 5 years.
- This cup prevents
- The cup has various sections like
- Upper rim
- Holes for releasing the suction
- Volume scale
- Stem with a round tip for easy grip
- The material is of high quality and very hygienic.
- The product is pocket friendly and is convenient to use.
- The product comes with a pouch. This pouch is to be used for keeping the cup in it after use.
- It is easy to clean, carry and is a great alternative to pads.
- The stem is a little short, had it be longer. The removal would have been more smooth and easy.
2. WOW FREEDOM REUSABLE MENSTRUAL CUP
- One of the best menstrual cups for beginners.
- It makes sure that intimate hygiene is on point.
- The cup comes in purple and pink colour.
- Works up to 12 hours or more depending on your flow.
- It is reusable, chemical-free and eco-friendly.
- Available in two different sizes, medium (below 30) and large (above 30)
- The cup is made from medical-grade silicone and is absolutely safe and convenient to use.
- It helps in maintaining the pH level.
- Wow, Freedom wash is also included with the cup to wash and get perfect feminine hygiene.
- The wash contains anti-fungal tea tree oil and is free from paraben and sulphate.
- The cup is easy to insert and remove.
- It is flexible and soft.
- Perfect for beginners.
- The cup won’t give you any irritation or dryness.
- The stem is a little long, it can give you discomfort.
- The medium size is expensive than the large size.
3. SIRONA RESUABLE MENSTRUAL CUP FOR WOMEN
- Sirona is a startup company aiming to solve issues of women related to hygiene.
- Can hold a good capacity of menstrual blood.
- The cup is long-lasting, easy on the pocket and convenient to use.
- The cup is designed with great perfection to give a perfect tight fit.
- The cup gives leak-proof protection and is ecofriendly.
- It can be used for up to 12 hours.
- The texture of the silicone used is very soft and flexible and easy to insert.
- Approved by FDA, safe for the skin (based on IOS) and free from SVHC (Substances of Very High Concern).
- It is available in 3 different sizes-small, medium and large.
- Small size is for
- Teens and young girls.
- Those who are not sexually active.
- The medium size is for
- Who are sexually active.
- Those who have not given birth vaginally.
- Large size is for
- Those who are sexually active.
- And those who have given birth vaginally.
- Completely odour-free, and easy to use.
- The texture is soft, hence insertion and removal are hassle-free.
- Absolutely safe for the environment.
- Pocket friendly and worth the money.
- There is not much difference between sizes.
- You may not find your perfect size at once.
- Doesn’t come with a wash.
4. SILKY CUP REUSABLE MENSTRUAL CUP
- Silky Cup is made from Thermoplastic Elastomer 100% medical-grade material.
- It can be used for up to 10 years if take care of properly.
- The capacity of this cup is up to 24 ml.
- Cup’s Diameter: 43mm.
- Cup’s total length with Stem: 72mm, Cup Length: 57mm, Stem length: 15mm.
- The best alternative to sanitary pads and other period products.
- The cups give you 12 hours of leak-proof protection.
- Easy to use and easy to clean as well.
- The cup is considered the safest of all and is completely free from any toxins.
- The cup has proven its best quality in every test.
- Silky Cup is tested according to
- ISO 10993-5 (Cytotoxicity)
- ISO 10993-10 (Mucosal Irritation)
- ISO 10993-10 (Sensitization)
- USP “CLASS VI” Tests Acute Systemic Toxicity
- Intracutaneous Irritation and Intramuscular Implantation.
- Repeated bending strain & flexing for crack growth test up to 1,50,000 cycles has been done for Silky Cup.
- Reusable Menstrual Silky Cup is an ideal menstrual aid for all kinds of sports, travelling, swimming, cycling etc.
- It is so comfortable that you cannot feel it.
- It can be worn overnight.
- It does not cause irritation or dryness.
- Silky Cup is non-allergenic and non-toxic.
- Available in medium size only.
- Suitable only for women below 30 years or who haven’t given birth vaginally.
5. EVERTEEN® MENSTRUAL CUP
- Everteen products are paraben-free, sulfate-free.
- Available in pink colour.
- Made up of silicon but there is medical grade silicone with a premium finish for long-term use.
- Can be used for up to 12 hours.
- Fits perfectly with the suction seal.
- Reusable up to 10 years if taken care of properly.
- As the name suggests, it is perfect for teenagers and beginners.
- Can be used overnight.
- Even if you use it for 12 hours, it will not irritate.
- No Menstrual Odour, Dryness, Discomfort, Itching Or Rashes like sanitary pads.
- Approved by FDA and has GMP certification.
- Available in two sizes small and large.
- The capacity of the small cup- 23 ml.
- The capacity of large cup -30 ml.
- This cup has perfect fitting. So perfect for beginners.
- Comes with a storage pouch.
- Comes in the favourite colour of most girls which is pink.
- The product’s quality is amazing.
- Comfortable, flexible, easy to use and long-lasting.
- A little expensive than other menstrual cups.
- Do not come with a wash.
- Too soft and sometimes difficult to pop.
6. I-ACTIVE REUSABLE MENSTRUAL CUP
- These cups are made up of 100% medical-grade liquid silicone.
- Gives protection for up to 8-10 hours.
- It can be used overnight without worrying about any leaks.
- The cup is safe in physical activities like exercising, swimming or dancing.
- The cups are ultra-flexible and soft.
- It comes with an ecofriendly jute bag for safe storage.
- Available in two sizes.
- The cup has a unique design, which creates a vacuum once inserted to give complete leak-proof protection.
- Can perform activities like swimming, dancing and exercising during periods.
- It is 100% safe.
- It protects skin against rashes and odour.
- No problems found.
7. MARK LOUIS ANEER REUSABLE MENSTRUAL CUP
- This cup is again available in pink colour.
- The cup is made from high-quality materials and is absolutely safe to use.
- The cup is available in two sizes small and large.
- The capacity of the cup is up to 24 ml.
- The diameter of the cup is 43mm, cup total length with stem: 72mm, cup length: 57mm, stem length: 15mm.
- It is easy to wash and can be reused for up to 5 years without any problem.
- The cup comes with a pouch.
- It gives you 12 hours of leakage protection.
- It is a budget-friendly product.
- The cup is suitable for all kind of sports.
- Grip over stem is excellent.
- The cup doesn’t lose its shape even after several usages.
- The texture of the cup is a little hard as compared to other products.
Here are a few advantages that make a menstrual cup a better option than any other period product and why it is so loved and accepted by women worldwide.
- It is cost-effective. As compared to pads and tampons menstrual cups are much cheaper.
- It is eco-friendly. Unlike pads and tampons, the menstrual cup does not contribute to polluting the environment. It is reusable and can be used for up to 10 years. That’s great!
- During summers the biggest problem with pads is rashes. Menstrual cups do not give rashes and irritation.
- Menstrual cups are odour free. Because the blood does not come in contact with oxygen, the reaction does not happen and hence no more odour problems.
- Menstrual cups can hold more. These can be used for up to 12 hours straight.
By now I am sure you have made up your mind to buy yourself this cute little innovation that has made our lives simple.
I hope that the information provided in this article is clear to you and it will help you to decide which menstrual cup you should go for.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
Can I sleep with a menstrual cup?
Yes, of course, you can sleep with a menstrual cup. The menstrual cup can be used for up to 12 hours straight.
How far in should my menstrual cup go?
It should not sit over the opening of the cervix. You should be able to easily find the tip of the cup.
When to replace the menstrual cup?
Replace your menstrual cup when you see
1. The original colour has changed.
2. The shape seems a little distorted.
3. It is damaged.
4. It feels sticky.
5. It has any splits.
When or who should not use a menstrual cup?
Menstrual cups have made periods simple for so many women.
However, there are a few conditions under which you must not use a menstrual cup before consulting your gynaecologist.
The conditions are:
1. You have delivered a baby recently.
2. You are suffering from a yeast infection.
3. You have an IUD.
4. Your skin is sensitive to silicone.